cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin Menard" <kmen...@servprise.com>
Subject RE: Cayenne and Spring (a Hibernate inspired question)
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:51:59 GMT
Hi Marek,

My Hibernate experience is limited to a single project that did not use
Spring, so it's hard for me to draw a fair comparison.  My take from
passively watching on discussion lists (particularly the Tapestry one)
is that Spring makes Hibernate usable in a way that Cayenne is out of
the box.  It seems you know this already, though.

In a Web app I have here, we an account creation operation split up over
three screens and it involves several different entities.  For this, I
simply used a peer context per page and coalesce everything at the end.
This is a little bit older code and I would likely use a child context
for it now.  The reason I did it this way is that while conceptually a
single operation, completing any of the phases is a complete
transaction.  If you want to enforce start to finish behavior, you could
use a single context shared via session.  Just watch yourself because
it's a lot harder to enforce a workflow through a browser than it is
through Swing.

As for sorting across multiple relationships, I guess I would have to
understand a little more as to what you want to do.  Simplest thing is
to write your own Comparator, but you may want to look at mapping a
query, and barring that, use SQLTemplate to achieve what you need in the
DB.

I hope that helps.

--
Kevin Menard