cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Design Issue: unique value
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:52:39 GMT
Robert,

> Depends on if you need incrementally unique identifiers, or if you
> need just need a unique number.
> I have situations where I need unique "transaction ids", but they
> don't have to be ordered in any particular manner.
> I use java's random number generation facilities to generate a
> random number, then attempt to select a datarow from the database
> with that number; if I successfully select one, the number isn't
> unique and the process is repeated until I get a unique number. I
> use 9 digit numbers, so the likelihood of ever generating the same
> number twice is very small, and in practice, the loop never gets
> executed twice.

I see your point.  This is an open issue right now but I think the
client will want to have some sort of sequential numbering system.
That is why I thought of employing the MySQL MAX() and then
incrementing in the code.

I am doing more reading and there appears to be Cayenne support for
Jakarta Velocity #bind and #result directives but I haven't got my
demo code to work yet so I don't know if this is the solution for a
non-mapped result set.

Joe