cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Basic ROP questions
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:57:19 GMT

On 15/09/2007, at 3:09 AM, Kevin Menard wrote:

> I'm just getting started on a ROP project using Cayenne 3.0.  In my
> server
> classes, I had a large amount of utility methods attached to my DOs.
> Clearly, there's a fair amount of overlap between the server
> classes and the
> client classes.

I remember some time ago Andrus saying that he'd like to merge
PersistentObject and CayenneDataObject one day. Doing so would
certainly help a lot to share code between client and server. For
instance in our project we have a lot of duplicate code for entity
validation - since we want to run validation on the client without a
round trip to the server. But of course we still need to have it on
the server.

> 2) Will packaging either the server or the client classes into
> distributable
> JARs gain me anything?

I don't think so. There is just no overlap in the class hierarchy. At
the moment in the few places we managed to share some code between
client and server we have done it through interfaces.

Ari

Aristedes Maniatis
phone +61 2 9660 9700
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8