cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Raw XML vs. Cayenne GUI
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:24:19 GMT

On 26/09/2007, at 9:57 AM, Chris Farnham wrote:

> Do other people feel the same way I do?
> If so, can Cayenne better support both modes of use?

Sure.

> I would like to see documentation and examples that are XML descriptor
> centric as well as GUI centric.

I think that would be useful to a number of people.

> I also think that it'd be an interesting project to look at the
> current
> XML syntax and make it a little more user/text-editor friendly.  I
> have
> no concrete ideas on this latter point but I've been playing around
> with
> DSLs in other areas and it might be neat to either streamline
> Cayenne's
> XML syntax or create a DSL.  Either of these could be transformed into
> the current XML syntax.

The advantage of XML is that there are any number of ways to author
the content.

> I only raise this issue because I've enjoyed using Cayenne and would
> like to see it improve.

Such a thing would probably help other people and improve the
usability of Cayenne. Perhaps you'd like to start a page here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/CAY/

Eventually this could be merged into the main documentation.

Ari Maniatis

Aristedes Maniatis
phone +61 2 9660 9700
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8