cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Joe Baldwin <jfbald...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: ORM Comparison
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:47:30 GMT
Thanks for your comment concerning the large data sets.  As I recall,
EOF choked on large data sets when I was coding Obj-C.  I don't know
what the problem was, but I do recall that there was a hard limit.

My interest (right now) is primarily with the various methods by
which Entities & Relationships can be mapped using the two different
tools and then how much capability is offered using the two different
(or perhaps not so different) persistence-management models.  My
*current* understanding is that Cayenne is very similar to EOF and
relies upon the CayenneModeler to: create/analyze/reverse-engineer
(or any combo) resulting in cayenne metadata (xml files),
instantiated DBMS schema, and auto-generated Java persistence
classes.  Whereas Hibernate relies on a raw (hand edited) xml-
metadata file, but also supports the xdoclet POJO mapping (which
*appears* to support/require that the objects be maintained by
programmer)

Also, if I understand correctly, Cayenne may have a tad more elegant
and mature persistence architecture (guessing on this one because I
am not an EOF expert).

The advantage of EOF and EOF Modeler was the maturity of the
architecture with respect to managing the DataContext-layer as well
as it was a central hub for instantiation of an abstract Entity-
Relationship model.  I have not been able to verify if Hibernate
"groks" this way of being used or not.  Cayenne certainly does.