cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Lepine" <mikelep...@gmail.com>
Subject creating/saving transient objects to database
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:45:52 GMT
I've got a situation where I've got strict POJO objects that I'll need to
copy data from and into my generated Cayenne classes. My issue is that when
I copy the data from the bean to the Cayenne class, I don't know whether the
object exists or not. Thus, I create the Cayenne class instance using
DataContext.newObject(). Obviously, when I call DataContext.commitChanges(),
an insert is being attempted on the corresponding table even if a record
already exists in the database.

Is there a way to create the Cayenne instance so that the persistent layer
will know to check whether the record exists and update it instead of always
attempting an insert?

Any help and guidance are appreciated.