cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: UTF8 problem
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2007 07:49:37 GMT

On Jun 2, 2007, at 9:43 PM, marco turchi wrote:

> | summary       | longtext     | utf8_general_ci | YES  |
> | description   | longtext     | utf8_general_ci | YES  |

I believe the third column is "collation", not "encoding"; so
encoding is still "latin".

> My idea is that the data are encoding UTF8 inside the table, but when
> Cayenne creates a connection, all the data that pass through that
> connection are encoding latin1. Is it right?

Disclaimer *** : I've never tried the advise below myself, only found
it in MySQL docs. So I suggest taking a full MySQL dump from your
production DB, loading it to an offline test DB, and trying it there
first, before applying to production.

With ALTER DATABASE and ALTER TABLE you can change the default
database charset and a default table charset on MySQL 5.0:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/alter-database.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/alter-table.html

Be careful with various ALTER TABLE charset options. According to the
docs there are different ways to address a number of related but
distinct charset conversion issues. You need to pick the one that is
appropriate for you. So definitely do it on a test DB first.

Good luck!
Andrus