cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Borut BolĨina" <borut.bolc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Maven in Cayenne
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:12:13 GMT
Hello!

2007/3/14, jerome moliere <jerome.moliere@gmail.com>:

> Hi Andrus,
> what a good question -)
> Maven is quite a dream, the idea is perfect, its powerful and quite easy
> use...
> But it can be a nightmare while trying to make serious unit tests, please
> refer to the Cocoon build notes for pleasant notes, or find the blog from
> my
> friend Stephane Bailliez member from the Joost team where he deals with
> this
> subject... Joost seems to keep an old solution based on ANT + Ivy ..Works
> well...

>From what I read (it took me a while), I feel that Stephane will always be
on the rebel side (star wars) or in opposition (politics). I am sure he has
more experience than me in Maven 2 philosophy. But until I learn something
better to manage corporate artifact dependencies (and 3rd party for that
matter), I will continue to learn Maven. I do have a tough skin. I will look
at Ivy also, I am not a religious person.

No other comments...
> Oops just a small one, running after the latest release of any library in
> the Maven repositories is quite boring, Spring 2 M 4 is available but not
> final release, Hibernate 3.2 but not 3.2.1 or 3.2.2... Installing manually
> jars on local repositories is a feature but should be quite rare while its
> permanent...

Not quite true. Look at
http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.springframework/spring
<dependency>
    <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
    <artifactId>spring</artifactId>
    <version>2.0.3</version>
</dependency>

You just have to know the right groupId. Same for Hibernate. The above
search site can help. Manually installing/deploying a jar is a 20 seconds
process. I see no down thumbs in that. A correctly laid out corporate
repository (Artifactory) might help - I am still looking at options.

Having no big projects experience with Maven I can not judge. Personally, I
will walk down the M street for a while - I hope it is not a one way ;-)

Cheers,
Borut