cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Jeske" <terry.je...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lookup tables
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:25:17 GMT
Thank you all for your input. Michael asked me "What exactly do you
need?".  Which is a good question:

   - We need a way to track projects.
   - Projects will be displayed to the user in a grid, which should be
   sortable by Name, and Status.
   - Status values are: "Completed", "In Progress", "Not Started"
   - The current status values may change over time. For example "Not
   Started" may change to "TBD".
   - The user can change the status of a project by selecting a value
   from a HTML list box.
   - An admin user can add (and edit) values to the status table through
   a web form, and these changes are immediately available to the website -
   i.e. list box values are populated from the database. Adding a new
   Status requires no code changes, it is purely database driven.

I know that this example is a bit contrived i.e. "status" would normally
stay a bit static. However, there are other cases where these values may
change, and having them in a Key table should not be a big deal (IMHO <g>).

I should note that I am not a DBA, but I know enough to get by, usually by
running queries until I get the syntax right. My focus is on the integration
side of things, but like many of us, I have to wear many hats.