cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Øyvind Harboe" <oyvind.har...@zylin.com>
Subject Re: DataPort
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:44:01 GMT
> Yes, for straight-foward things, I've been able to use DataPort to
> convert from Oracle to hsqldb.   For other tables, I've used dbunit
> export and import to xml.

Manipulating databases in this fashion is not a job that Cayenne
should take on, IMHO. I made a feeble naive attempt at adding
downloadable backup/restore support using DataPort in my
application(converting from any database to Derby), but quickly ran
into rather hairy issues that showed that DataPort is not the way to
go for that sort of thing.

Some sort of interface between Cayenne and some other
framework(DBunit? Others?) that could handle this type of database
manipulation might be interesting.

I'll certainly take DBuint for a spin eventually. Some of the problems
that I don't see DataPort handling:

- import/export w/foreign circular foreign keys, generated primary keys, etc.
- add/remove fields from tables
- creating a snapshot(backup & restore built into the application
without using database specific functionality).
- fixing corrupted database(e.g. duplicate primary keys)

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com