cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne web site design
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 01:48:08 GMT

On Oct 1, 2006, at 8:43 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

> o We should probably have the 1.1 documentation on the site.  This
> could be marked as a legacy release.  1.2 is still fairly young,
> however, so we should make it easy for those still using 1.1 to get
> appropriate support.

My idea of how this should be organized is to show at most 2-3
releases that we think of as "current" to avoid the clutter. And then
add "Other..." menu item in the bottom of documentation section that
points to the docs collections for the old releases. "1.1" should
probably go in the "Other" category.

> o In thinking about it more, it may make more sense to invert the
> version order for the documentation.  Right now, the development
> version is the first accessible one, although we should be
> promoting the stable release for general use.

Current ordering was actually my idea :-) The point was mainly to
show things in chronological order, newest first... Maybe we can
break dev release out of it, and strip the "stable" label (it should
be implied), but keep the rest in order:

* Version 2.0
* Version 1.2
* Development Release (Version 3.0)

Once 3.0 goes Beta, the menu will look like this, to encourage users
to try the Beta:

* Version 3.0 (Beta)
* Version 2.0
* Version 1.2

> o I'm thinking it may be worthwhile to have a whole section
> dedicated to support.  This would have links to FAQs, commercial
> support, mailing lists, and what not.

I am +1 on support. But as a result many links such as mailing lists
and bug tracker would fall into multiple categories (support and
collaboration)... What anyone's thoughts on that?

> o "Contributors" seems like an informative topic and may be better
> placed under "About" rather than "Collaboration."
>
> o I still have mixed feelings on the main content.  It's definitely
> improved, but for logical flow, it would seem to me that the
> modeler would be better placed right after the description of what
> Cayenne.  Basically you'd go from what we are to what we can
> offer.  Throwing news in the middle breaks that flow and makes the
> modeler section seem like it's floating in no man's land.  On the
> other hand, pushing news to the bottom obviously makes it harder to
> view.

Or maybe move the news on top - or to the right side???

Andrus