cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: Cayenne web site design
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 23:14:54 GMT

On 03/10/2006, at 2:40 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> So let me repost how the menu may look like with old releases links:
>
> * Version 2.0
> * Version 1.2
> * Legacy Releases
> * Development Release (Version 3.0)
>

> "Legacy Releases" can either expand down to two more levels, or
> simply open a page listing all of them.
>
> Andrus

OK, this could work, however there are two things I don't like:

1. the releases are out of order. Could we have them biggest to
smallest or vice versa? I don't mind which, but a vaguely random
order? What happens when we have:

Version 2.0
Version 1.2
Legacy Releases
Beta Release (Version 3.0)
Development Release (Version 4.0)

Argh! How about I write some Javascript which automatically re-orders
them on every page load :-)

2. I'd prefer not to do two level menus. Firstly, they are a bit more
annoying to code. Secondly, they are really really annoying to hit -
if the mouse falls slightly outside the menu bounds the menu vanishes.

I'd prefer right now that we just have "Version 1.1 (legacy)" in the
menu which takes up no more space, and then we can deal with this in
the future when there are more items we'd like to insert. This web
site isn't forever - over the next months of real use it will need
modifications. Let's deal with those later.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001