cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: How to use TransactionDelegate to do audit logging?
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 23:08:42 GMT
On 9/30/06, Jeff de Vries <jdevries@pfrog.com> wrote:

>> What I'm *really* trying to do is that we have about 15-20 different
>> types of alerts, and a bunch of rules that specify some additional
>> processing that needs to take place when certain types of alerts are
>> generated.  Rather than scatter the rules around the umpteen
>> different
>> places alerts are created, I thought I'd be "clever" and put all the
>> rule processing stuff in one place, looking at the alerts as they get
>> written out.  So, as a complete workaround, I could just go add the
>> rules to the umpteen different places the alerts are getting
>> generated.
>> Or, if there was a convenient place to hook some "aspect-oriented"
>> programming stuff (which is what I guess I'm doing), like a
>> Alert.onSave(), that would work too.

Actually support to do exactly this is now built into Cayenne 3.0 and
we are using it in production. It was added only in the last
fortnight, but is working really well.

http://cwiki.apache.org/CAYDOC/lifecycle-callbacks.html

I think it will do exactly what you need.

As for auditing, I wonder whether this callback work now makes the
auditing approach redundant? It appears that the callbacks are a more
general implementation of what Mike has done and might be able to be
used for his auditing requirements.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001