cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Bill Dudney <bdud...@apache.org>
Subject wrap up from the software summit
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 15:46:09 GMT
Hi All,

Just wanted to let you all know about last week @ the software summit
(www.softwaresummit.com).

I presented;

http://bill.dudney.net/roller/resources/bill/Cayenne.pdf

at the conference.

There were about 600 people there and about 60 or 70 made it to one
of the talks I did on Cayenne. Generally everyone liked the idea of
Cayenne, there was a broad range of experience with R/O mapping, some
had done hibernate but many were doing straight JDBC or iBatis. The
JDBC'ers were very impressed with Cayenne, and the hibernater's were
pumped about the modeler :-)

Over all Cayenne was well received and I hope to see at least a
little of an uptick in the user list and maybe a new developer or two.

A couple of specific observations;

1) JPA support was high on many folks list of stuff that they wanted
to see.
2) One of the guys at the show backed up cayenne modeler to his 500+
table oracle db and the modeler pulled in all the metadata
flawlessly. He was quite impressed!
3) A lot of people still don't get the R/O thing. I was surprised at
the # of folks using iBatis to manage complex object graphs and
essentially re-implementing the relationship handling code on top of
iBatis.

If you have any notes or comments on the preso please feel free to
send them to me. I'll be updating the preso and giving it again I'm
sure. On that note it is licensed under creative commons so feel free
to use it at your local JUG or whatever to spread the word about
Cayenne.

TTFN,

-bd-