cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: Sneak preview of new proposed Cayenne site
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2006 09:41:40 GMT

On 09/09/2006, at 4:27 AM, Borut BolĨina wrote:

> Hello,
>
> have a look at http://svarog.homeip.net/cayenne/
>
> Most work is to be invested in documentation section. Properly divided
> sections, PDF versions, ...
> Also the right side is empty.
>
> Suggestions welcome.

I think this is an improvement on the current site, but we could do
better in some ways:

* the design should be css based, not a table based design. This will
make it much easier to reskin and update in the future. It also makes
it easier to add content over time. A css based design is better for
accessibility reasons and better for printing.

* it shouldn't be done in Dreamweaver which leaves lots of ugly
javascript behind

* I don't like navigation which runs in several directions on the
site. Here we have primary navigation running across from the top
left, which is limiting in its ability to expand to add new items.
Then navigation at the top right which also runs across, but to the
left, and finally navigation on the right which runs vertically. The
problems I have are:

  - why are there three sets of navigation?
  - what happens as we want to add navigation to levels 2 and 3 and
they collide in the middle on small screens?
  - what happens on small screens when you can't see the navigation
to the right?

I'd like to work with Borut and the advances he has made, and
furthermore to sponsor our graphic designer to work on the design
with us and the community. His work can be seen here: http://
www.brucemartin.net/

Cheers
Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001