cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: Diagramming/documenting: how should we do that?
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:11:16 GMT

On 25/09/2006, at 3:15 PM, Eric Lazarus wrote:

> I want to be able to document the object model and the
> relational model in an attractive and clear way. We
> are building them both in the modeler. What should we
> do to be able to create something that can be used to
> document our work in a useful way? I'm envisioning an
> ER diagram with attributes or something. Is there a
> tool that will walk though the schema or something and
> draw this for me or with me?

The new UML diagram tools in Netbeans 5.5 are looking really
interesting. I am starting to use it on our project. It allows two
way integration from diagram to code and back again.

http://www.netbeans.org/products/enterprise/index.html

I know this isn't the complete solution for what you want because it
doesn't show database relationships between schema entities and I
haven't yet figured out how to do this either. But I'm hoping that it
might be extensible in some way.

You could always use EOModeler on a Mac to do what you want. It draws
nice diagrams. Just a shame it is 1) going away, 2) doesn't open
Cayenne XML models.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001