cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Øyvind Harboe" <oyvind.har...@zylin.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne does not throw an exception when an outer join is attempted
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:08:39 GMT
On 8/17/06, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2006, at 10:06 AM, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>
> > I guess I don't understand, because I would say "always".  If an outer
> > join was required for an Expression, but Cayenne didn't generate it,
> > then generate an Exception.
> >
> > Isn't it unambigous when an Expression as a Qualifier requires an
> > OUTER JOIN or some other SQL construct that Cayenne does not support?
>
> No it is not unambiguous. In most cases it is up to the user. This is
> why I am asking for examples to be able to identify various cases.

Is there a way to detect runtime that an Expression is ambigous?

Can you give me an example of an ambigous Expression?

I didn't intend any Expression that I wrote to be ambigious.

I normally run into problems with with outer joins when I orExp()
together complex generated Expressions.

E.g. if Foo has e.g. multiple fields referring to
Contact(toContactFrom, toContactTo) and I orExp together match against
toContactFrom & toContactTo as there are Foo objects without either
toContextFrom or toContactTo.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com