cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Øyvind Harboe" <oyvind.har...@zylin.com>
Subject Re: Null pointer exceptions and database null
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:34:45 GMT
On 8/3/06, Gentry, Michael (Contractor) <michael_gentry@fanniemae.com> wrote:
> I'm not 100% certain why you would want to do that

To get rid of NPE's.

>(sometimes you need to know when
>things are null).  I do agree it can complicate code (I really miss
Objective-C's handling).  One
> thing EOF did was have an EONull class to represent null objects.  You could fudge this
sort
> of behavior with a custom common superclass (that all the _Classes inherit from), but
it
>wouldn't be quite the same as if Cayenne had support for it.  This
might actually be
>enhancement worthy, but would probably break lots of things.

I don't want to loose the capability to detect that there is an
underlying database null, nor is this required to be able to implement
returning empty string for the null case. In fact Cayenne would have
to have some way of knowing that there was an underlying database null
to correctly handle updates.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com