cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Kienenberger" <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: temporal database generation
Date Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:04:25 GMT
On 8/26/06, Eric Lazarus <ericllazarus@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I guess I was thinking about it done in Tomi's way but if this way can ensure that no
data is ever lost, that is pretty powerful.

> What are the advantages of doing it Tomi's way?
>
>    He can do efficient queries to see what the state of the database was at any time
in the past? Is that right?

>    He could efficiently materialize objects as they existed at any time in the past.

Yeah, the only real difficulty in doing this is handling join queries.
  Each join has to also eliminate non-relevent data.

I actually did a lot of this "by hand" for a WebObjects project
(Imperial Wars) a long time ago.   Time was measured in discrete units
(turns), but it worked pretty much the same way.