cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: question about modeler
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:32:05 GMT

On Jul 25, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Lothar Krenzien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know what does the option "Max. Number of Objects"
> in the "Cache Configuration" part of the modeler really means.

This is the number of database row snapshots kept in the cache. They
are used internally in three cases, preventing a database fetch:

* when objects are searched by PK
* when to-one relationships are resolved
* as a baseline for comparison of a modified object when building an
update query (this one became redundant in 1.2, and will probably be
replaced with a different algorithm).

> Is it the number of objects in the cache or the number of instances
> for each database  object (table/view...) ? What makes we wonder is
> that I leave the default value (1000)

more accurately this is 10000.

> configured but in a profiler it looks like that I have over 100000
> objects in the cache.

10000 is the upper limit on the number of entries in
DataRowStore.snapshots map. Is this the one you are looking at?

> What I also saw is that the default value wasn't written to the
> cayenne.xml file but a different value was.

True.

> So my question is what happens when no cache size is configured ?
> Is the default value used or an unlimited cache size ?

Default value should be used.

Andrus