cayenne-user mailing list archives

From "Øyvind Harboe" <oyvind.har...@zylin.com>
Subject Re: Generating primary key locally without extra tables
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:16:08 GMT
On 6/21/06, Gentry, Michael (Contractor) <michael_gentry@fanniemae.com> wrote:
> I actually looked into making a PK generator that required no DB access, but when I looked
into it, Java didn't support everything I wanted without resorting to JNI and C code.  Of
course, I was more ambitious in what I was thinking.  I wanted it to be similar to what I
could do in EOF (hundreds of keys/sec).

> Does anyone here know if Java 1.5 supports obtaining the process ID natively?  I think
that was my stumbling point before.  I was trying to make a key that contained server IP,
process ID, timestamp, and counter.  Maybe it is time to consider this again.  If I could
produce a unique string all the time like that, it would make a nice PK generator and your
PKs would have some meaning (that is me with my production support hat on).

It sounds like you are looking for something like:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/UUID.html

> As to your questions ...
>
> A) My gut feeling tells me that wouldn't be a good idea.

Could you be more specific?

We're replacing a horrid .asp + MS Access application, which
inevitably leads to some nausea :-)

> B) You could do that, but it seems pretty problematic to me.

More specific?

> Maybe some others will have a few good ideas ...

If I can have an MSAccess & Oracle & MS SQL adapter that supports
server generated keys, then that will also solve my problems. Might be
a bit quixotic though. :-)

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com