cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Lachlan Deck <lach...@ish.com.au>
Subject EmbeddedDriver performance help
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 00:29:45 GMT
Hi all,

I've been testing an initial population of a Derby database with some
30-40000 records and am finding a large performance difference
between using the EmbeddedDriver vs the ClientDriver i.e., depending
on whether Derby is run as an embedded or network service for the
application.

Using the Embedded driver seems to take an order of magnitude longer
than not (e.g., 2-3 hours vs 15 minutes)!

We'd like to use an embedded Derby for deployment but this is
unacceptably slow. Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing
this?

I'm not that familiar with Cayenne as yet (but am with EOF), so is
there some way in Cayenne of adjusting the settings at run time (or
other) for the JDBC connection?

Perhaps Derby's default locking scheme is getting deadlocked
somewhere or perhaps the Embedded Driver has some problems. Any
pointers would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks.

Lachlan Deck
lachlan@ish.com.au