cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Lachlan Deck <lach...@ish.com.au>
Subject Re: EmbeddedDriver performance help
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 01:17:34 GMT
Hi there,

On 05/05/2006, at 10:43 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Lachlan Deck wrote:
>>
>> I've been testing an initial population of a Derby database with some
>> 30-40000 records and am finding a large performance difference
>> between
>> using the EmbeddedDriver vs the ClientDriver i.e., depending  on
>> whether
>> Derby is run as an embedded or network service for the  application.
>>
>> Using the Embedded driver seems to take an order of magnitude longer
>> than not (e.g., 2-3 hours vs 15 minutes)!
>
> fascinating. Normally the embedded driver is faster.

So I've read.

> Which client JDBC driver are you using?

For embedded Derby: org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
For network Derby: org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver

Both are using the adaptor:
org.objectstyle.cayenne.dba.derby.DerbyAdapter

> Which specific version of Derby are you running?  Can you post the
> output from:

I've tried both the lastest stable and recent nightly build. No
difference.

> java org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo

$ java -cp "<..>lib/derby.jar"  org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo