cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Marek Wawrzyczny <marek_wawrzyc...@internode.on.net>
Subject CayenneServlet response appears not to be GC'ed
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 07:59:35 GMT
Hi all,

We are getting close to releasing a preview version of our software that utilizes Multi-tier
Cayenne.
We have started to stress test it and we have hit a problem, something on the server us consuming

memory and never releases it.
I tried profiling the server application and it appears that RawData objects (our first hunch)
on the
server are being GC'ed correctly. There is no indication of excessive instances of any class,
Cayenne
or not.

The one thing not being monitored by the profiler is servlets. Judging by the memory usage
jumps,
I have a sneaking suspicion that it is the HessianServlet responses that are not being GC'ed
- the
increases seem to correspond to data requests.

The particular piece of GUI tested fetches a list of ~25,000 records from a table into a shared
context with
paging  enabled, page size is 100 records.
The used memory in the JVM jumps by 30+ Mb as we traverse through all the records. The JVM
never
releases that memory.

We have been through our code and we are definitely not keeping any references to instances
of
servlets, requests or responses.

We are using Jetty as the server.

I was hoping  someone might have some pointers before I jump into writing a profiling container
for
the servlet. Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Marek Wawrzyczny