cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Lindsay Steele <lste...@iinet.net.au>
Subject Re: PK problem with Postgre
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:54:59 GMT
Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> create sequence foo_bar_seq;
> create table foo (bar integer unique not null default
> nextval('foo_bar_seq'));

Yes,  I am using this way.

> (Or is this something else?) The example above does not work with
> Cayenne because Postgres driver as of 8.0 does not implement
> Statement.getGeneratedKeys() thus making it impossible (ok, rather
> very hard) for Cayenne to retrieve the key generated in such way. The
> solution - do not tie a PK column to a sequence in Postgres, let
> Cayenne generate the key.
Maybe that explains things. I migrated from mysql so was hoping - or
expecting it would work the same.

> I guess we may implement an equivalent of
> 'Statement.getGeneratedKeys()' on Cayenne end by using Postgres
> proprietary API to retrieve generated keys (and thus enable scenario
> (1)), still I hoped the driver would provide that.
>
> Andrus

 Ok,  I understand that you need to know the generated key once a record
is entered - which makes sense.

For now .. I did some more testing and will stick with my previous strategy.