cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Craig Turner <cr...@synect.com>
Subject Seeking to automate generation the cayenne schema
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:24:35 GMT
In short: is there a command-line or API-driven way of creating a
cayenne configuration by pointing at an existing schema or is the
modeler the only supported approach? Cgen should be OK for generating
the classes, but I'm interested in an earlier step - generating the XML
configuration itself.

--

I'm in the process of writing a framework with cayenne 1.2 as one of the
components [1]. It's driven from the command-line. Eg:

For this paticular operation I'd like to be able to do this:
   sf create project name com.base.of.java.package jdbc:uri com.db.Driver

It's my intention that this should create a project of the supplied name
and base backage and generate a cayenne setup based on the supplied url
and database driver.

Is it straightforward to generate a configuration this way with existing
tools? I'm guessing it won't be too difficult to either hack the modeler
to do this without user interaction or else generate my own XML based on
JDBC inspection, but I'd far prefer to do it through a supported
approach if one is available.

   - C

[1] I'm writing it in python. The other main dependencies are tapestry 4
and tomcat. Some readers may notice a passing resemblance to a certain
set of perl-based webobjects tools :)