cayenne-user mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Object migrates between DataDomains
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:22:06 GMT

On Apr 12, 2006, at 12:33 PM, emre.yilmaz@htr.com.tr wrote:

> For update:???
> ClassDescriptor descriptor =
> localContext.getEntityResolver().getClassDescriptor(obj.getClass
> ().getSimpleName());
> System.err.println(new DeepMergeOperation(ctx).merge(obj,
> descriptor));
> ctx.commitChanges();

Ok, so you have something akin to a replication mechanism. Let's try
putting the new 1.2 DataChannel API to work. This is an unforeseen
use of such API, but looks like it might work and actually allow you
to synchronize all changes of the entire context at once (instead of
object by object). I have no time right now to test a fully working
example (and the API is new so there is no docs yet), but let me
outline the possible approach.

* Get the latest Cayenne nightly build (it fixes some DataChannel
event bugs).

* On commit DataContext (which is itself a DataChannel) broadcasts
two GraphEvents - one that contains committed context changes and
another one with generated PK (all changes are represented as
GraphDiff instances). See 'DataContext.flushToParent(..)' for details
on how the events are sent.

* You can register your own listener for the *source* DataContext
(look at DataContext.setChannel(..) on how to register a listener)
and apply the first group of changes to the *target* DataContext via
DataContext.onSync(..):

GraphEvent e;

// first type of event
if(e.getSource() == sourceContext && e.getPostedBy() == sourceContext) {
    targetContext.onSync(sourceContext, e.getDiff(),
DataChannel.FLUSH_NOCASCADE_SYNC);
}

* Applying PK changes is less trivial, as onSync won't work...
Probably you'll have to repost this event on behalf of
targetContext's channel so that target context catches it and updates
itself accordingly.

// second type of event with PKs
else if(e.getSource() == sourceContext && e.getPostedBy() ==
sourceContext.getChannel()) {
    ???
}

Andrus