cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject FrontBase DB support by Cayenne
Date Thu, 02 May 2019 07:36:26 GMT
Hi Sven and FB support!

As the subject says, this is about supporting FrontBase DB (further referred to as "FB") in
Apache Cayenne. I cc'd Cayenne dev list to keep the community in the loop.

Some background.. Due to many people in the Cayenne community coming from Apple WebObjects
technology, Cayenne is probably the only ORM (outside WO) with explicit support for FB. However
for a long time now we had various problems running our test suite against FB, and we even
made a move to deprecate and remove Cayenne FrontBaseAdapter [1] (now reversed).

Recently I had an f2f meeting with FB developers and users during a WebObjects event in Frankfurt,
and now I know for sure there's still a community around it. So it makes sense to continue
supporting the adapter. However we need to address a number of issues for it to work smoothly.
So we took a closer look at what fails. The first thing we ran into was that FB crashes a
lot on MacOS. We solved this by wrapping it in a Docker container (effectively running it
on Linux), so this is no longer a problem for us.

However we still can't run the Cayenne test suite due to a number of issues. We documented
the initial blockers here [2], all related to the FB JDBC driver.

@FB support: can you help us with those? We can continue this discussion going in Apache Cayenne
Jira, but feel free to post to this list as well.

Thanks,
Andrus Adamchik

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2525
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2574