cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From "Geert B. Clemmensen" <geert.clemmen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FrontBase DB support by Cayenne
Date Thu, 02 May 2019 10:04:06 GMT
Hello Andrus,

Thank you for getting back to us.

> FB crashes a lot on MacOS

Huhm, what version of FrontBase and MacOS are we talking about? FrontBase is in 24x7 use on
MacOS also in mission critical systems and is never crashing. I’m not sure what is going
on, but if we can get a reproducible case, we will of course investigate. Start FrontBase
with the -logSQL option, reproduce the crash(es) and make a compressed copy of the database
directory (/Library/FrontBase/Databases/<database name>.fb). Send the compressed file
to ftp.frontbase.com <http://ftp.frontbase.com/>.

Once the crash(es) situation is “fixed”, we can take a look at the JDBC issues.

Regards,
Geert B. Clemmensen
FrontBase, Inc.

> On May 2, 2019, at 9:36 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Sven and FB support!
>
> As the subject says, this is about supporting FrontBase DB (further referred to as "FB")
in Apache Cayenne. I cc'd Cayenne dev list to keep the community in the loop.

> Some background.. Due to many people in the Cayenne community coming from Apple WebObjects
technology, Cayenne is probably the only ORM (outside WO) with explicit support for FB. However
for a long time now we had various problems running our test suite against FB, and we even
made a move to deprecate and remove Cayenne FrontBaseAdapter [1] (now reversed).

> Recently I had an f2f meeting with FB developers and users during a WebObjects event
in Frankfurt, and now I know for sure there's still a community around it. So it makes sense
to continue supporting the adapter. However we need to address a number of issues for it to
work smoothly. So we took a closer look at what fails. The first thing we ran into was that
FB crashes a lot on MacOS. We solved this by wrapping it in a Docker container (effectively
running it on Linux), so this is no longer a problem for us.

> However we still can't run the Cayenne test suite due to a number of issues. We documented
the initial blockers here [2], all related to the FB JDBC driver.

> @FB support: can you help us with those? We can continue this discussion going in Apache
Cayenne Jira, but feel free to post to this list as well.