cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Nikita Timofeev <ntimof...@objectstyle.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne 4.2 StringProperty—implement ComparableProperty?
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2019 14:22:53 GMT
Hi,

Missed this thread.
I just didn't imagine that there is a use case for that. But as long
as it is supported by DBs, I think this should be supported by Cayenne
as well.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 4:24 PM Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:

> Hi all.
> I've been experimenting a little with Cayenne 4.2. It looks lovely and I can't wait to
start using it.

> One thing I bumped into is that StringProperty does not implement ComparableProperty.
Although I'd personally never design a DB or a system that requires this, I work with a couple
of legacy systems that use comparison of string fields ("someString">"otherString" etc.).
Doing a little googling seems to show that it's also a bit of a practice and widely supported
by DBs.

> So… Do you think StringProperty should implement ComparableProperty? I'm torn myself.
It feels wrong—but if it's supported by DBs and widely used, perhaps the Cayenne API should
allow for that?

--
Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev