cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Hugi Thordarson <h...@karlmenn.is>
Subject Cayenne 4.2 StringProperty—implement ComparableProperty?
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2019 13:24:30 GMT
Hi all.
I've been experimenting a little with Cayenne 4.2. It looks lovely and I can't wait to start
using it.

One thing I bumped into is that StringProperty does not implement ComparableProperty. Although
I'd personally never design a DB or a system that requires this, I work with a couple of legacy
systems that use comparison of string fields ("someString">"otherString" etc.). Doing a
little googling seems to show that it's also a bit of a practice and widely supported by DBs.

So… Do you think StringProperty should implement ComparableProperty? I'm torn myself. It
feels wrong—but if it's supported by DBs and widely used, perhaps the Cayenne API should
allow for that?

Cheers,
- hugi