cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne geospacial features
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2019 14:38:16 GMT
Hi Tore,

Thanks for sharing your solutions.

> Next up is PostGIS queries. PostGIS queries are very powerful, but the syntax can be
quite strange. SQLTemplate or something similar should work fine. I have some simple application
specific java abstraction to the most common stuff like ST_Intersects to fetch rows matching
a tile and such.

This is primarily the area where we think we might improve Cayenne abstractions for both spatial
and non-spatial advanced SQL. We'd like to add the ability for object queries / mapping to
contain the following:

1. Custom functions (already on master - [1])
2. Joins that are not equi-joins (spatial joins [2] in our case - ST_Intersects/ST_Contains/etc).

@Nikita - anything else I might have missed?

None of the above appears to break the basic ORM assumptions, just taking them to the next
level. So hopefully it won't create leaky abstractions.

Andrus

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2512
[2] http://postgis.net/workshops/postgis-intro/joins.html

> On Feb 23, 2019, at 1:40 AM, Tore Halset <halset@pvv.ntnu.no> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> With Cayenne, you can easily create a ExtendedType that convert JTS geometries on the
java side to Well-Known Binary on the database side. I did create a similar ExtendedType to
create JTS geometries to Well-Known Text for storing JTS geometries as text (se below). We
have used this in production for several years. For PostGIS, I have not used Cayenne on the
geometries, but it should work identical.

> A long time ago, I wrote about this over at http://objectstyle.org/confluence/display/CAY/Mapping+JTS+Geometries
, but that website does not exist anymore.

> Next up is PostGIS queries. PostGIS queries are very powerful, but the syntax can be
quite strange. SQLTemplate or something similar should work fine. I have some simple application
specific java abstraction to the most common stuff like ST_Intersects to fetch rows matching
a tile and such.

> For related libraries, JTS has lots of geometry goodies. It is in the middle of a move
with package name switch. The old one from vividsolutions is most compatible with other libraries
for now. Geotools has lots of goodies for projection and such. And perhaps our library, https://github.com/ElectronicChartCentre/java-vector-tile
, for constructing Mapbox Vector Tiles from java for use in Mapbox GL JS or Native.

> Regards,
> Tore Halset.
>
> /**
> * An ExtendedType that can be used by cayenne to covert WKT to/from JTS
> * Geometry - com.vividsolutions.jts.geom.Geometry
> */
> public class WKTGeometryType implements ExtendedType {
>
>    private static final String CHARSET = "UTF-8";
>
>    private Class<? extends Geometry> geometryClass;
>
>    public WKTGeometryType(Class<? extends Geometry> geometryClass) {
>        this.geometryClass = geometryClass;
>    }
>
>    public String getClassName() {
>        return geometryClass.getName();
>    }
>
>    public boolean validateProperty(Object source, String property, Object value,
>            DbAttribute dbAttribute, ValidationResult validationResult) {
>        Geometry g = (Geometry) value;
>        if (!g.isValid()) {
>            String msg = "Invalid geometry";
>            validationResult.addFailure(new BeanValidationFailure(source, property, msg));
>            return false;
>        }
>        return true;
>    }
>
>    public void setJdbcObject(PreparedStatement statement, Object value, int pos, int
type,
>            int precision) throws Exception {
>        Geometry g = (Geometry) value;
>        switch (type) {
>        case Types.BLOB:
>            statement.setBytes(pos, g.toText().getBytes(CHARSET));
>            break;
>        default:
>            statement.setString(pos, g.toText());
>            break;
>        }
>    }
>
>    public Object materializeObject(ResultSet rs, int index, int type) throws Exception
{
>        String wkt = null;
>        switch (type) {
>        case Types.BLOB:
>            wkt = new String(rs.getBytes(index), CHARSET);
>            break;
>        default:
>            wkt = rs.getString(index);
>            break;
>        }
>        if (wkt == null) {
>            return (Geometry) null;
>        }
>        return new WKTReader(new GeometryFactory()).read(wkt);
>    }
>
>    public Object materializeObject(CallableStatement rs, int index, int type) throws
Exception {