cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Maik Musall <m...@selbstdenker.ag>
Subject Re: Allowing property getters without a "get" prefix on DataObjects
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2019 16:22:06 GMT
Hi Andrus,

did you have a chance to look at this yet? The reason I ask is that our application hit the
memory limit this week again (-Xmx at 96 GB), and according to some profiling, almost half
of that is used up by HashMap nodes. So we're really eager to upgrade to Cayenne 4.1 to be
able to use field-based DataObjects, but this is preventing us from going ahead.

Thanks
Maik

> Am 25.09.2018 um 16:23 schrieb Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org>:
>
>> "Should Cayenne by default work without prefixed accessors".
>
> My answer to this : "By default, no. As a fallback or a custom strategy, possibly."
>
> I actually agree about Java beans. They are almost irrelevant now. And I wish Java gets
"data classes" and some transparent form of "properties".

> As things stand now though, there's no common established alternative based on a naming
convention that we can safely hardcode without causing grief for someone because they didn't
expect that their method would be called when evaluating expressions. Hence my preference
for a DI fix.

> So how about this... Unless someone else steps in by then, let me brainstorm it with
Nikita a couple of weeks from now and see if we can do a DI solution. It is not nearly as
involved as it appears.

> Andrus
>

>> On Sep 25, 2018, at 9:59 AM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andrus and thanks for the reply,
>>
>> allowing replacement of the entire reflection strategy is certainly nice and would
allow me to make the customizations I need.

>> However, if it's OK with you, rather than discuss implementation details, I'd like
to take two steps back and revert to the more philosophical design question of:

>> "Should Cayenne by default work without prefixed accessors".
>>
>> What is there to be lost or gained from keeping or abandoning the prefix-requirement?
>>
>> I believe I can safely assert that Cayenne works fine without accessor prefixes,
since I've used it that way on dozens of projects, so it looks like a somewhat arbitrary limitation.
It's only with the introduction of field based DOs that we get a problem in a very isolated
part of the framework.

>> It seems to me that the java ecosystem is moving towards more modern API design—we've
even got the architect of the Java language calling the bean-style "at best a questionable
-- and certainly overused -- API naming convention" [http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~briangoetz/amber/datum.html
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~briangoetz/amber/datum.html>] (pardon the appeal to authority,
but considering where it comes from, it's probably a good barometer for where java language
and API design is headed).

>> I'd say that the framework would be well served and future-proofed by dropping the
requirement for hard-coded accessor prefixes as a baked in requirement.

>> Cheers,
>> - hugi
>>

>>> On 25 Sep 2018, at 11:15, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Hugi,
>>>
>>> My vote would be to do it right. There is a positive side effect that the entire
reflection strategy suddenly becomes customizable.

>>> Andrus

something relatively simple (allowing DataObjects to have accessor methods that don't start
with a "get"-prefix).

it seeks for a non-prefixed method if a prefixed one isn't found? That modification is minimal
and shouldn't affect any current users, so I can think of.

follows that approach has a good chance of acceptance.

of ClassDescriptorMap (which is currently lazily created inside EntityResolver). We can't
make ClassDescriptorMap itself DI-managed as it depends on the mapping state, but a factory
for it can be a DI singleton. Inside your custom factory (a few levels down actually) you
can provide a subclass of BeanAccessor (maybe also via its own DI factory?).

currently running 4.0 and testing upgrading to 4.1 using field-based DataObjects, and I'm
hitting the hard-coded prefixes in BeanAccessor that prevent me from proceeding.

only do I dislike introducing the "get" boilerplate everywhere. I am also somewhat reluctant
to make a refactoring touching some 800+ files in my project. To be honest, I'd rather patch
BeanAccessor to personal taste and deal with the consequences.

to the options Hugi described in his original mail in this thread, I could also imagine a
way to modify this to be able to inject a custom Accessor implementation as an alternative.
What do you think?

implementing one of these options? :-)

:)

where using the bean spec was necessary — JasperReports. That was easily fixed by providing
*BeanInfo classes, in accordance with the Bean spec. But Cayenne doesn't really follow the
Java Bean Spec, it just hardcodes "is", "get" and "set".

has five methods prefixed with "get" so that list is questionable. And I don't miss this functionality.

would not affect those who choose to add the prefix. It just accommodates those of us who
choose not to, thus expanding the audience of the framework.

 With the