cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Allowing property getters without a "get" prefix on DataObjects
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2018 11:15:18 GMT
Hi Hugi,

My vote would be to do it right. There is a positive side effect that the entire reflection
strategy suddenly becomes customizable.

Andrus

> On Sep 25, 2018, at 7:11 AM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrus, and y'all.
>
> I've been looking into this and it seems like a rather large change to allow something
relatively simple (allowing DataObjects to have accessor methods that don't start with a "get"-prefix).

> Would people be diametrically opposed to just changing BeanAccessor so that it seeks
for a non-prefixed method if a prefixed one isn't found? That modification is minimal and
shouldn't affect any current users, so I can think of.

> Cheers,
> - hugi
>

>> On 20 Sep 2018, at 16:08, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Maik,
>>
>> In Cayenne a canonical way to override services is via DI. A PR that follows that
approach has a good chance of acceptance.

>> From a quick glance, I wonder if this new DI endpoint should be a factory of ClassDescriptorMap
(which is currently lazily created inside EntityResolver). We can't make ClassDescriptorMap
itself DI-managed as it depends on the mapping state, but a factory for it can be a DI singleton.
Inside your custom factory (a few levels down actually) you can provide a subclass of BeanAccessor
(maybe also via its own DI factory?).

>> Andrus
>>

>>> On Sep 19, 2018, at 8:35 AM, Maik Musall <maik@selbstdenker.ag> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'd like to pull up this discussion from one year ago again. I'm currently running
4.0 and testing upgrading to 4.1 using field-based DataObjects, and I'm hitting the hard-coded
prefixes in BeanAccessor that prevent me from proceeding.

>>> Yes, in theory I could sigh, yield, and use "get" prefixes, but not only do I
dislike introducing the "get" boilerplate everywhere. I am also somewhat reluctant to make
a refactoring touching some 800+ files in my project. To be honest, I'd rather patch BeanAccessor
to personal taste and deal with the consequences.

>>> BeanAccessor is currently always called by it's constructor. In addition to the
options Hugi described in his original mail in this thread, I could also imagine a way to
modify this to be able to inject a custom Accessor implementation as an alternative. What
do you think?

>>> And… what would happen if someone would submit a pull request actually implementing
one of these options? :-)

>>> Cheers
>>> Maik

the bean spec was necessary — JasperReports. That was easily fixed by providing *BeanInfo
classes, in accordance with the Bean spec. But Cayenne doesn't really follow the Java Bean
Spec, it just hardcodes "is", "get" and "set".

methods prefixed with "get" so that list is questionable. And I don't miss this functionality.

those who choose to add the prefix. It just accommodates those of us who choose not to, thus
expanding the audience of the framework.

This