cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Maik Musall <m...@selbstdenker.ag>
Subject Re: Allowing property getters without a "get" prefix on DataObjects
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2018 15:35:23 GMT
Hi all,

I'd like to pull up this discussion from one year ago again. I'm currently running 4.0 and
testing upgrading to 4.1 using field-based DataObjects, and I'm hitting the hard-coded prefixes
in BeanAccessor that prevent me from proceeding.

Yes, in theory I could sigh, yield, and use "get" prefixes, but not only do I dislike introducing
the "get" boilerplate everywhere. I am also somewhat reluctant to make a refactoring touching
some 800+ files in my project. To be honest, I'd rather patch BeanAccessor to personal taste
and deal with the consequences.

BeanAccessor is currently always called by it's constructor. In addition to the options Hugi
described in his original mail in this thread, I could also imagine a way to modify this to
be able to inject a custom Accessor implementation as an alternative. What do you think?

And… what would happen if someone would submit a pull request actually implementing one
of these options? :-)

Cheers
Maik

> Am 26.09.2017 um 15:32 schrieb Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is>:
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> thanks for an honest attempt to convince me. Hard sell, though. :)
>
> I use a lot of 3rd party libraries and I've only hit one time where using the bean spec
was necessary — JasperReports. That was easily fixed by providing *BeanInfo classes, in
accordance with the Bean spec. But Cayenne doesn't really follow the Java Bean Spec, it just
hardcodes "is", "get" and "set".

> As for the Eclipse thing… Well. A standard DataObject already has five methods prefixed
with "get" so that list is questionable. And I don't miss this functionality.

> I think it's important to note that the change I'm proposing would not affect those who
choose to add the prefix. It just accommodates those of us who choose not to, thus expanding
the audience of the framework.