cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Maik Musall <m...@selbstdenker.ag>
Subject Re: 4.1 templates with relationships
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2018 13:46:51 GMT

> Am 18.07.2018 um 15:31 schrieb Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org>:

of essentially infinite graphs? Do you provide a spec of how deep to go down the relationships
path?

>>> I don't have that problem in my experimentation project because I can use an
ExclusionStrategy there that solves it. If actual cyclic references need to be expressed,
I guess that would be a custom solution with semantics encoded in JSON that the consumer on
the other end would need to know about. But I'm not trying to serialize my entire database
to someone :)

>> I was asking as LinkRest provides essentially such framework / semantics. And it
is far from trivial on the backend.

> [Sorry didn't finish my thought... ]
>
> Periodically someone would ask "how do I serialize Cayenne objects to JSON". Which to
me means "is there a JSON serialization library without the complexity of LinkRest that produces
readable JSON and allows to control serialization depth". But maybe I am overthinking it and
typical use cases are simple and can be handled with ExclusionStrategy or a similar simple
rule set.

> If you can make GSON work, you should post an example somewhere. This seems like a popular
question.

Will do.

In my case there is no REST interface. I'm producing a JSON that gets packaged along with
other resources and then transferred over to a signage display (using rsync).

Maik