cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Nikita Timofeev <ntimof...@objectstyle.com>
Subject Cayenne release policy thoughts
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2018 10:50:19 GMT
Hi all,

Wanted to share my thoughts about our release policy.

I think it will be better for Cayenne to reduce scopes of future
releases, as not many users are ready to use milestone or even beta
releases. At the same time we can't create final release if there are
a lot of new things, because of long feedback cycle.
Good example of this problem is 4.0 version that started 5 years ago
(as a 3.2 back then) and still not finished. Even Java itself released
faster now :)

As for nearest plans, 4.1 already have some nice features (like
field-based data objects or recently added completely new dbimport
interface in Modeler), so I think we can target it to feature freeze
after M2.

And we can already start to push new tasks into next (4.2?) version or
even think about several versions ahead.

So any thoughts about overall shorter release cycles or 4.1, 4.2 release plans?

--
Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev