cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Local Query Cache Problems
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2018 13:28:32 GMT

> On Apr 10, 2018, at 6:47 PM, John Huss <johnthuss@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1) Data written to the Local query cache will survive the lifetime of the
> ObjectContext. If the cache group it is written to does not have an
> explicit expiration time, then it will stay in the cache forever until you
> run out of memory.

I will need more time to comment on the bigger picture. But let me address this point. Admittedly
I used OSCache over the years, and only recently switched to EhCache, so I may be overlooking
something EhCache-specific, but anyways...

"Stay in the cache forever until you run out of memory" has never been an issues, because
the cache would normally have a max size and LRU parameters. So unused data would simply be
cycled out and we don't have to worry about explicitly removing it. Also EhCache may actively
remove expired items (?), but OSCache certainly did not, and it was not a problem either,
also because of maxsize/LRU.

So in other words, a properly sized cache should take care of all these issues automatically.

Andrus