cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: New Cayenne website design
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2017 14:18:09 GMT
So Nikita just pushed the new site to https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne-website.git
(mirrored at git@github.com:apache/cayenne-website.git).

I like the new docs system a lot. Version selector, expanding table of contents are all very
nice. IIRC we are still porting the docs (e.g. 4.0 docs are not there). A few comments:

1. We might want to remove Apache license from the visible HTML at the top of each "book".
E.g. http://localhost:3000/docs/4.1/cayenne-guide/ Unlike the previous version of the site,
the license font is practically the same as the main text and just looks annoying. A license
in a PDF book probably makes sense. A license the web site is redundant.

2. I couldn't figure out how to reorder the books in the left-hand menu for a given version.

3. Is there a way to use a different name for the book in the menu from the book's title?
E.g. a standalone book might be called "Cayenne Getting Started Guide", while in the menu
it can be shortened to "Getting Started".

4. There's no way to collapse an expanded menu once you start scrolling. This makes it hard
to say jump from the main docs to a tutorial. Perhaps at least we can make the top-level menu
items visually stand out?

5. @Nikita - what is your plan on switching the docs to Asciidoctor? I'd like to make some
docs edits, but we are kind of in the middle of a switch from one docs system to another,
so I don't want to get in the middle. I assume we can't switch to Asciidoctor without completely
switching to the new website?

Thanks,
Andrus

> On Dec 21, 2017, at 10:04 AM, Nikita Timofeev <ntimofeev@objectstyle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Here is a GItHub repo [1] with new site demo, it already has pretty
> much final design. Everyone can clone and test it locally, see README
> for technical description.
> What's inside: docs converted to asciidoc (not yet pushed to Cayenne
> master), site build with Maven + Gulp + Hugo (but only Maven should be
> installed, other parts are automated).
>
> Everyone are welcome to try it and discuss.
> Once we are happy with main features we can finalize content and push
> this into apache repo.
>
> [1] https://github.com/stariy95/cayenne-website-demo
>
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> Here ys a more realistic 3D logo (at the same location) :
>>
>> https://projects.invisionapp.com/share/QPDY76KB9
>>
>> Andrus

bigger 3D logo. I certainly like both better than the initial version. I wonder how well the
3D logo will look like as a Modeler desktop icon. Zhenya, the designer, is on vacation now,
so we won't know for a few weeks.

>>> These are a great step forward. I think the visual illusion of the frame turning
into a finished skin would be enhanced by the skin being smaller so it doesn't feel like a
glove. Here's a quick hacky demonstration that needs more tidy up.

>>>   https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw5wY__nj_W9NTVkQm9rTk5Fbms?usp=sharing
>>>
>>> It might be interesting to see the top end of the fruit being even more realistic
with a slight shine, then it progresses from wireframe to flat colour to realistic. Again,
I only spent 10 minutes on this, so I know it needs to be done much better, but look at logo-realistic.png
in that same share.