cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Nikita Timofeev <ntimof...@objectstyle.com>
Subject Re: New Cayenne website design
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2017 15:18:39 GMT
1. Yep, I don't like this license either. Will hack a way to drop it from web.

2. Docs are ordered by "weight" parameter in the front matter part of the page.
The minor problem is that front matter inserted on the Cayenne side,
thus this can be edited once I'll push Asciidocs.

3. This is totally possible, need to modify templates and docs a little.

4. Can't say anything, I'm ok with the current structure (most
probably I just used to it :))

5. I have all 4.1 docs ready (4.0 and 3.1 are on their way) and can
push it, I have standalone HTML generation that we can use on current
site if required.

(mirrored at git@github.com:apache/cayenne-website.git).

> I like the new docs system a lot. Version selector, expanding table of contents are all
very nice. IIRC we are still porting the docs (e.g. 4.0 docs are not there). A few comments:

> 1. We might want to remove Apache license from the visible HTML at the top of each "book".
E.g. http://localhost:3000/docs/4.1/cayenne-guide/ Unlike the previous version of the site,
the license font is practically the same as the main text and just looks annoying. A license
in a PDF book probably makes sense. A license the web site is redundant.

> 2. I couldn't figure out how to reorder the books in the left-hand menu for a given version.
>
> 3. Is there a way to use a different name for the book in the menu from the book's title?
E.g. a standalone book might be called "Cayenne Getting Started Guide", while in the menu
it can be shortened to "Getting Started".

> 4. There's no way to collapse an expanded menu once you start scrolling. This makes it
hard to say jump from the main docs to a tutorial. Perhaps at least we can make the top-level
menu items visually stand out?

> 5. @Nikita - what is your plan on switching the docs to Asciidoctor? I'd like to make
some docs edits, but we are kind of in the middle of a switch from one docs system to another,
so I don't want to get in the middle. I assume we can't switch to Asciidoctor without completely
switching to the new website?

> Thanks,
> Andrus
>

>> On Dec 21, 2017, at 10:04 AM, Nikita Timofeev <ntimofeev@objectstyle.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Here is a GItHub repo [1] with new site demo, it already has pretty
>> much final design. Everyone can clone and test it locally, see README
>> for technical description.
>> What's inside: docs converted to asciidoc (not yet pushed to Cayenne
>> master), site build with Maven + Gulp + Hugo (but only Maven should be
>> installed, other parts are automated).
>>
>> Everyone are welcome to try it and discuss.
>> Once we are happy with main features we can finalize content and push
>> this into apache repo.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/stariy95/cayenne-website-demo
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>> Here ys a more realistic 3D logo (at the same location) :
>>>
>>> https://projects.invisionapp.com/share/QPDY76KB9
>>>
>>> Andrus

a bigger 3D logo. I certainly like both better than the initial version. I wonder how well
the 3D logo will look like as a Modeler desktop icon. Zhenya, the designer, is on vacation
now, so we won't know for a few weeks.

turning into a finished skin would be enhanced by the skin being smaller so it doesn't feel
like a glove. Here's a quick hacky demonstration that needs more tidy up.

with a slight shine, then it progresses from wireframe to flat colour to realistic. Again,
I only spent 10 minutes on this, so I know it needs to be done much better, but look at logo-realistic.png
in that same share.

--
Best regards,