cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Modeler - GUI Testing
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2017 23:07:05 GMT
Without looking at specifics, I think it would be awesome to have real tests for the GUI. Cayenne
is dependency-free where it matters - when it is embedded in the apps. Using a third-party
lib to test the code during the build does not affect that in any way. So we should be fine.

Andrus

> On Dec 5, 2017, at 5:54 PM, emecas@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hi Dev@Cayenne community.
>
> During recent months after an intensive work with the modeler, I found a set of bugs
related to visualization, two of them have been already fixed (CAY-2379 [1] & CAY-2384
[2]) , currently I'm in the process for reporting and solving at least 3 new ones.

> During the fixing I have implemented some GUI testing specific for the modeler, using
assertj-swing [3]. This has passed all validations for the building process, including Travis-CI
by using xvfb [4] for all the active profiles in master branch. Also it requires including
the assertj-swing[5] dependency in the parent-pom with test scope.

> So, I wonder if including this new GUI testing feature would be aligned to apache cayenne
goals; I remember reading recently from Andrus his happiness posting about "Cayenne Core is
Dependency-Free" [6] as part of the version 4.X key improvements.

> Although the implemented GUI testing does not add too much time to the building process,
all validations until now look stable, and by include this kind of testing we will be working
toward guaranty a better end-user experience, I would like to ask for your opinions before
keep working on that.