cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: huge to-many relationships
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2017 05:36:33 GMT

> On Oct 10, 2017, at 4:47 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
> On 9/10/17 9:54PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> 2. We can treat these huge ObjRelationships as a special type of relationships (marked
as such in the Modeler), and apply special strategies to them. E.g. pagination on faulting,
List.isEmpty() and List.size() resolved without faulting (thus allowing to deal with Deny
rule).

> Pagination would be such a great addition, and you could set the page size effectively
to 0 to bring in just a big list of hollow objects.

> Today, queries have pagination and a query cache to improve performance on very large
data sets. Is there any equivalent of a query cache when faulting a to-many relation?

We don't support this now, but I've been thinking for some time about resolving certain to-many
relationships from query cache as if they were query results. So maybe we are onto something
here. Perhaps we should pursue "relationships strategies" feature (caching, pagination, lazy
size eval).

Andrus