cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: New Cayenne website design
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2017 08:15:09 GMT
I like it overall. I mean, it is boring, but in a good way!

* it looks like so many other material design inspired sites on the internet today
* that means it feels familiar and not scary or different
* which is good for corporates wanting to adopt something so critical to their code base
* it is easy to read and the information is accessible and clear

The one thing I feel strongly about is the reworking the logo. It feels way too much 1980's
disney cartoon. If it were more wireframe:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/red-chilli-pepper-wire-frame-picture-idBD6572-001?s=170667a
https://img1.cgtrader.com/items/3845/5598d2cc3c/pear-high-resolution-3d-model-max-obj-3ds-fbx.jpg

then I'd feel it was an attempt to say "Cayenne is the model on which you put the skin of
your application". Perhaps if the lines were thin and delicate it would look less cartoon.

Other than that logo, really nice work!

Ari

On 26/9/17 4:22PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> We've discussed the new website before, and Ari posted a prototype. Based on that we
did some work on a more detailed design, which I'd liek to present here:

> 1. Home page: https://invis.io/EQDMPF5YP
> 2. Internal page: https://invis.io/TSDMPF64F
>
> It modernizes the logo. It attempts to balance Apache branding guidelines with our needs
(black Apache section on top will contain all the foundation links like "Donate", etc. in
a dropdown menu). It tries to deal with multiple documentation versions, etc. Quite some effort
went into creation of the home page that is easy to navigate by either existing users who
come there for the docs and new releases or new users who need to understand what the project
is about at the first glance.

--
Aristedes Maniatis