cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Website FIles
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:41:23 GMT
I think we should not worry too much about the second group. At least not on the home page.
We should mention in some form that Cayenne is an ORM of course, but beyond that the top priority
should not be advertising us as "an ORM", but rather as "a better ORM" [*]. We just spoke
with the designer, and I floated an idea of a slogan: "ORM with character".

Andrus

[*] BTW these days ORM competition is no longer raw JDBC, but rather SQL mappers like Jooq
and Mybatis.

> On Jul 12, 2017, at 10:38 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
>> On the home page I think we need to replace most of the text with a more visual representation
of what Cayenne is and why somebody would want to use it (Modeler, DB-first flow, transparent
transactions, ObjectContext, featured extensions such as commitlog and crypto). Also we were
thinking of creating a video tutorial for 4.0. This may also go on the home page.

> These are good ideas. Let's talk about who the audience is. I think they are:
>
> 1. People who already know Hibernate. Or Rails or some other lesser known ORM.
>
> 2. People who don't use any ORM at all and are new to the idea.
>

> There are some other speciality audiences (like people coming from WebObjects) which
I think are so small as to not be important for the front page.