cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Java 8
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2017 11:40:52 GMT
On 26/7/17 7:52PM, Nikita Timofeev wrote:
> Java 7 has reached EOL couple years ago and Java 9 will be there in
> this September, so I think support for new Java version is more
> important, and that is not fully possible without dropping Java 7 (at
> least it's impossible to have compatibility with 7,8 and 9 for MacOS
> version of the Modeler).

It possible to update the version of Java just for the modeler. That way we can keep the older
version for the libraries (until we really want to use new features of Java) and upgrade the
modeler much more quickly.

For example, I'd be in favour of moving 4.1 Modeler directly to Java 9. Yes, that sounds slightly
mad, but Swing/FX continues to improve and Java 9 introduces better font handing and high
resolution Windows displays. Developers should have little trouble running a really recent
version of Java for the modeler even when servers are still several major releases behind.

For us, we have trouble moving to Java 8 since we are stuck on a slightly old version of Apache
Tapestry.

Are there Java 8 features we want to use in the Cayenne libraries?

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis