cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: DataRowStore properties
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2017 13:55:40 GMT
I agree, this is confusing. This API is only half-way converted to the DI style of configuration.
So yeah, it doesn't make sense (except as transitional API that needs to be cleaned up). Ideally
all stack objects should be immutable and initialized with specific values, not properties.
Properties should be decoded by factories that create those objects. (i.e. we need to stick
to separation of configuration code from the object we are configuring).

We are following this approach everywhere in Bootique, and we'll gradually refactor towards
it in Cayenne.

> Should SNAPSHOT_EXPIRATION_DEFAULT also be deprecated in this class?

Yes. I think in 4.1 we should.

Andrus

> On Jun 26, 2017, at 9:18 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
> I'm a little confused about the way properties are used and set in the DataRowStore.
>
>    public DataRowStore(String name, RuntimeProperties properties, EventManager eventManager)
>
> properties can be null here, but
>
>    protected void initWithProperties(RuntimeProperties properties)
>
> will throw NPE
>

> Also, initWithProperties(properties) seems to just ignore all the properties we pass
except for SNAPSHOT_CACHE_SIZE_PROPERTY. Should SNAPSHOT_EXPIRATION_DEFAULT also be deprecated
in this class?

> Finally, in the DataDomain class we also have properties, but instead of being RuntimeProperties
they are just Map<String, String>. Since it appears that RuntimeProperties are really
just an enhanced map with getters that support default values, should RuntimeProperties be
used consistently? To me this whole class seems like overkill, but maybe it is useful.