cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Website FIles
Date Sun, 21 May 2017 13:08:07 GMT

> On May 21, 2017, at 3:59 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 21, 2017, at 3:48 PM, Michael Gentry <blacknext@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That's the main change.  I also added a link to the Staging CMS site since
>> I had to dig that up (didn't know it offhand).
>
> Exposing staging links publicly and adding more weight to them by creating links from
the main site will be bad for SEO (a link to a second copy of the site will confuse Google
as to which is the primary page). Wish we had the ability to set <link rel="canonical"../>
for each page to help Google. So maybe remove the <a> tag from that link, and simply
keep the text?

On the other hand, it seems that the CMS already takes care of it by automatically placing
a restrictive robots.txt on staging containing this:

Disallow: /

So my worries may be misplaced, but since search engines are complete blackboxes, you can
never be 100% sure :)

Andrus