cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Nikita Timofeev <ntimof...@objectstyle.com>
Subject Re: Gradle plugin
Date Thu, 11 May 2017 07:27:13 GMT
Hello Buddha,

Thank you for update!
We'll go with a clean start then.

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 9:04 AM, buddha <jyothiprasadb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Nikita,
>
> Sorry for delay. The extent of my work is so minimal, I just created a new maven module
and a skelton class for gradle plugin. No logic has been implemented yet. I can certainly
push if you want to use those but I would suggest you create fresh as my build isn’t passing
yet.

> Thanks
> Buddha
>
> On 04/05/17, 2:00 PM, "Nikita Timofeev" <ntimofeev@objectstyle.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     We are approaching 4.0.BETA pretty fast and I wanted to check
>     is there any news about Gradle plugin, as it could be a really nice
>     final touch for the release.
>
>     Currently we have some resources and made small research on
>     how to integrate Gradle plugin correctly into Cayenne's maven
>     build routines and ready to either integrate it or proceed and
>     implement it.
>
>     So it will be really great if there is some code ready that we can
>     just grab and carry on, and even if it's not final you can still make
>     a pull request so we can continue.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Nikita.
>
>     On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 12:27 PM, buddha <jyothiprasadb@gmail.com> wrote:
>     > Thanks Andrus, for the clarification. Will start on these.
>     >
>     > On 24/12/16, 3:53 PM, "Andrus Adamchik" <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >     > Our understanding is that we will build native gradle plugins that
don’t rely on Ant tasks…
>     >
>     >     That would be my preference. Don't want to depend on Ant tasks. Support
for those has been on the decline, and they have some user-facing API peculiarities that I
don't want to see propagated to Gradle. So let's try to build native plugins, using Maven
Mojos as API prototypes as I suggested earlier [1].
>     >
>     >     >> 1. The cayenne documentation says "Cayenne artifacts are available
from
>     >     >> Maven Central for use with Maven, Ivy, Gradle or any other dependency
>     >     >> management tool"
>     >
>     >     My understanding that "canonical" repo for Gradle plugins is this: https://plugins.gradle.org/
So that's where we publish them when we do our next official release.
>     >
>     >     >> So what is the expected out of this task? We found the following
xml in the cayenne-tools project.
>     >
>     >
>     >     Let's ignore the Ant tasks for a moment.
>     >
>     >     >> 2.Will the Gradle native plugin be similar to the Ant classes that
we see
>     >     >> under the cayennetools project?
>     >
>     >     We need matching Gradle plugins mirroring the API/configuration of the corresponding
Maven plugins [1]. We do not need "cdataport", but we do need these 3:
>     >
>     >     * cgen [2]
>     >     * cdbimport [3]
>     >     * cdbgen [4]
>     >
>     >     >> 4.Is there a JIRA issue to track this task so that we can pick
it up and work on it?
>     >
>     >
>     >     Good idea. I just created 3 Jiras - [2,3,4]
>     >
>     >     Andrus
>     >
>     >
>     >     [1] https://github.com/apache/cayenne/tree/master/plugins/maven-cayenne-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/tools
>     >     [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2180
>     >     [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2181
>     >     [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2182
>     >
>     >
>     >     > On Dec 24, 2016, at 12:51 PM, buddha <jyothiprasadb@gmail.com>
wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     > Ari, they are useful…
>     >     >
>     >     > However, Our understanding is that we will build native gradle plugins
that don’t rely on Ant tasks… So just checking if our understanding is right before we
begin working on it.
>     >     >
>     >     > On 24/12/16, 1:21 PM, "Aristedes Maniatis" <ari@maniatis.org>
wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     >    You can easily enough call the ant tasks from gradle, and I've made
a wrapper around those ant tasks. But I didn't bother to support the things I didn't need
immediately, so it needs to be fleshed out.

--
Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev