cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Nikita Timofeev <ntimof...@objectstyle.com>
Subject Re: Renaming cayenne-postcommit module to cayenne-commitlog
Date Mon, 22 May 2017 14:27:28 GMT
Thanks Ari and Andrus for your feedback.

I've merged my changes.

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Andrus Adamchik
<andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> I also left my +1 on GitHub. Repeating it here.
>
> "Postcommit" was a placeholder name. The goal of this module was/is to capture commit
changes and present them to interested parties in an easy-to-process format. Naming a module
after its implementation details or the place in the lifecycle feels wrong. In fact we went
through a number of different implementations already, to solve this one problem.

> "Commitlog" name focuses on the intent, so it seems more appropriate.
>
> As an aside, the concept of an explicit commit log has a potential to take a more central
role in the future Cayenne stack. Currently the stack uses something called GraphDiff which
is roughly an opaque list of change objects that can only be processed using a visitor [2].
GraphDiff can already be transformed to a commit log. And the hope is that commit log may
prove to be a more convenient model for generating updating SQL.

> Andrus
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/master/cayenne-server/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/graph/GraphDiff.java
> [2] https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/master/cayenne-server/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/graph/GraphChangeHandler.java
>
>> On May 17, 2017, at 2:40 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>>
>> I accidentally replied just to Nikita, so bringing this back to the list. I think
if it is that specific, then the naming is a great idea.

>> Ari
>>
>> On 17/5/17 9:38pm, Nikita Timofeev wrote:
>>> Hi Ari,
>>>
>>> This module is providing access to cayenne's commit log in a form that can be
easily processed.
>>> So you can use it for whatever you can imagine,
>>> thought most obvious usage is some sort of audit logging.
>>>
>>> Postcommit module was there for some time as part of cayenne-lifecycle, created
to replace Audit filter.
>>> My change is only about pulling it out(that's done already) and renaming it.
>>>
>>> Wednesday, 17 May 2017, 02:05pm +03:00 from Aristedes Maniatis ari@maniatis.org:

>> --
>> Aristedes Maniatis

Best regards,