cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Nikita Timofeev <ntimof...@objectstyle.com>
Subject Re: Switching Cayenne to SLF4J
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2017 11:05:01 GMT
Hi all,

There is PR with SLF4J ready to be applied.
Switching to parameters logging like this:

logger.debug("Some data: {}", anObject)

is not there yet, only wiping out of commons-logging is done.

And after switching to SLF4J users will need to include at least
slf4j-simple to have some logging output.
This change doesn't seem important to me, as it will only affect small
apps with no logging yet, this also
will be mentioned in Cayenne getting started guide and upgrade notes.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
> I notice it also supports lazy evaluation of the logging data. That is, you can write:
>
> logger.debug("Some data: {}", anObject)
>
> Without worrying about the time to convert anObject to a string. That will remove a lot
of code like:

> if (logger.isDebugEnabled()) {
>
> }
>
> That alone seems worth it.
>
> Ari

>> Also AFAIK commons-logging does not support MDC [1]. The use of MDC may improve Cayenne
transaction tracking in the logs.

>> Andrus
>>
>> [1] https://logback.qos.ch/manual/mdc.html
>>
>>> On Mar 28, 2017, at 1:53 AM, Mike Kienenberger <mkienenb@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Pick one logging library (ie, log4j).  Add the "log to log4j from slf4j" jar.
>>> For all other logging libraries, add "log to slf4j from *" jars.
>>>
>>> It's pretty much that simple, although really badly designed logging
>>> libraries like java.util.logging may require extra steps or run
>>> poorly.

>>> the slf4j api is pretty much backward compatible no matter what
>>> version you use, and jars don't inline slf4j.   So you can just pick
>>> whatever version you like, generally the latest slf4j version
>>> available.
>>

> --
> Aristedes Maniatis

Best regards,